When I was a kid, Chicken and Rice was the only way my mom could get me to eat chicken. I am unsure why, just being a typical kid and not wanting to eat. This is my favorite dish that she makes and as I have moved out and started to cook, I have found my favorite way to make this.
There are a TON of different ways people make this. Remember if there are some things you don’t like in my recipe, you can substitute things with what you may like.
Chicken and Rice will feed a family, honestly inexpensively. This goes a long ways and also tastes great leftover. That is if you’re a leftover eater.
What Do I Need?
Like I said earlier, you can substitute some things from my recipe, if there are things you don’t like.
- Chicken Thighs or Tenderloins
- Cream of Chicken or Cream of Celery
- Cream of Mushroom
- Instant Rice
- Salt & Pepper
- 13×9 Pan
Throw Everything Together
My favorite part about this recipe, is how everything is thrown into the 13×9 pan, little to no dishes. You mix everything together in the pan and toss it in the oven, what could really be better? This also only takes about 5 minutes worth of prep time.
This is a step that can be skipped if you wish, but will save you in the end. Grease the pan with some butter, olive oil, or whatever kind of grease you prefer. Just make sure its greased all the way to the top of the pan.
Sprinkle your rice on the bottom of the pan. Spread out nicely for the next step.
Add your can of cream of chicken, cream of mushroom and water. Again, you can substitute these with different flavors. If you don’t like mushrooms, you can do cream of celery of cream of onion.
Mix your cream of cans and rice together nicely. Adding in your water to kep the rice from drying out. Again, lay flat nicely once all the rice is mixed into the cream of cans. Season the rice with salt and pepper, to taste.
Top your rice with your chicken, breasts or tenders. Season the chicken now with salt and pepper to taste.
This step is optional, I prefer my chicken tender and juicy. So I add a small slab of butter to each piece of chicken, before I add it to the oven. I also do this same step to my pork chops, when I make breaded pork chops in the oven (recipe is posted below).
Final Step :
Bake Chicken and Rice in the oven for 40-60 minutes. The time is really going to depend on if you use chicken thighs or tenderloins. Be careful not to over cook your chicken, using a thermometer to check the temperate before serving.
Serve up yourself a plate of the delicious Chicken and Rice, pair with some of your favorite vegetables to complete the meal. Save your leftovers to eat the next day for lunch, it’ll taste just as good, if not better.
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy this recipe. The full recipe with measurements will be below. Let me know what you think and if you changed anything up.
Much Love & Honey,
- 10.5 Oz Cream of Chicken or Cream of Celery
- 10.5 Oz Cream of Mushroom
- 2 Cups Minute Rice
- 1-1/2 Cup Water
- 5-6 Tenderloins or 3 Large Chicken Thighs - Boneless
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 13x9 Glass Pan
Preheat oven to 375
1. Oil the pan if you don't want your rice to stick. Just lightly, all the way up to the edge.
2. Sprinkle rice over the bottom of the pan.
3. Add your cream of chicken and cream of mushroom to the pan. Than add in your water.
4. Mix everything together until combined nicely and all the rice is covered.
5. Season the rice with salt and pepper, if you choose.
6. Place your chicken on top of the rice and season with salt and pepper. I like to push mine down into the rice a little, so it stays juicy. I also add a 1/2 tablespoon of butter to the top of each breast/tenderloin, to keep the chicken juicy. You can skip this step if you wish.
7. Bake at 375 for 40-50 minutes. The time will take longer if you chose breasts, vs if you are cooking tenderloins. I check mine at 40 minutes and see where we are and add more minutes as needed.