Fire Roasted Chili Cheese Fries are the perfect dinner while camping. Extremely affordable and goes a long ways. I am always trying to find new things to eat when we go camping, besides the usual burgers and hotdogs. Plus, if its simple to make, I love it even more.
I do cook on our grill or on the stove in the camper, but its fun cooking things on the fire as well. This is the perfect recipe for just that. Check out below how I made these and the full recipe at the bottom.
- Tin Foil Pan / Pans
- Tin Foil
- Oven Mitts
- Oil / Cooking Spray
- Frozen French Fries (Your preferred Cut)
- Chili Sauce (With or Without Beans)
- Cheese Sauce
- Fresh Onions
How Did You Make This On The Fire?
The answer to the question you are probably asking, is simple. I put all my ingredients in a small pan (You can use a larger pan) and put the pan on the grate on the fire. I checked often to ensure they didn’t burn. Here’s how I did it all.
Before you load your pan with fries, coat the pan in some sort of oil. I used vegetable oil, you could use cooking spray as well. Coat all sides of the tin, making sure your fries don’t stick because you will need to stir them around to cook all sides.
Toss your frozen fries into your pan, cover with a sheet of tin foil. This is to keep the smoke out of the fires and keeps the heat in. Wrap the tin tight enough to keep the heat in, but loose enough so you can remove and check your fries.
Place on the grate for a few minutes, again checking regularly and stirring as needed. I probably checked and stirred more than needed, but I didn’t want to burn my fries. Flip the fries around some, making sure all fries are cooking through and aren’t still frozen. When you find that your fries are done remove from the fire, using your oven mitts.
Open your can of chili sauce and your cheese dip. Plop some of each, all over the fries, cover again with your tin foil (or new stuff) and place back on the grate. This part is pretty much just to melt your cheese and heat up the chili. Fries are already cooked, this only takes a couple of minutes. If its bubbling, remove and top with your fresh diced onion.
This would be a really great recipe to try with some kiddos or teenagers. You could do this on the grill, if you weren’t someone who likes to cook on a fire.
I hope you try my recipe and share with all your fellow camping friends. Lastly, I ask that you please share my recipes to Pinterest, Facebook and your friends. Thanks for taking the time to read my recipe, full recipe will be at the bottom.
Much Love & Honey,
Fire Roasted Chili Cheese Fries
Fire Roasted Chili Cheese Fries are perfect for dinner, while camping. Its fun and delicious!
- Frozen French Fries
- 1 Can Chili Sauce (With or Without Beans)
- 1 Jar Cheese Dip
- Fresh Diced White Onion
- Coat your desired baking tin with some oil, coating all sides so the fries don't stick.
- Place fries inside of baking tin, covering with tin foil. Not too tight so you can remove it to check the fries, but tight enough to keep smoke out and heat in.
- Set baking tin on the fire grates, ensuring mostly hot coals are under the grate. You don't want full wood, it causes smoke and gets too hot too fast.
- Remove tin foil every few minutes, checking and stirring the fries. Replacing the tin foil back on top and continue cooking.
- Once fries are cooked, remove from heat and add spoonfuls of your chili sauce and cheese dip.
- Placing tin back on the grates, for just a few minutes to heat up the sauce and dip. Once everything is bubbling, remove from heat and top with fresh diced onions.
- Enjoy with your fingers (your camping) or a fork.