French Onion Beef Roast is different than your traditional beef roast. It doesn’t have all those veggies and it has a much different taste. So this is where I came up with a beef roast I would like. Below are step-by-step pictures and the full recipe at the bottom.
Why Did You Choose This Style Beef Roast?
I am probably one of the very few people, that don’t like a traditional beef roast. I have tried it SO many times and I just don’t like it. Its the potatoes for me, I love them but I don’t like when they have been cooking in beef roast juice all day. They lose their potato flavor. This roast has everything in it that I already love, so I knew this was the perfect fit for me. I will definitely be making this one again.
What Do I Need To Make This?
- Beef Chuck Roast
- Red Onions
- Beef Broth
- White Wine Vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Minced Garlic
- Corn Starch
The ketchup sounds scary, but trust me its necessary to get that French Onion flavor.
Slice up your red onions and mushrooms into thin slices and toss half on the bottom of the crockpot. Pour half of your wet mixture on top of the onions and mushrooms. Season your chuck roast and place on top of the onions and mushrooms. In a medium bowl, mix together your broth, Worcestershire sauce, white wine vinegar, and ketchup. Pour mixture over the top of the roast, adding the rest of your mushrooms and onions to the top of the roast.
Set the timer on high for 4 hours or Low to 6-8 hours. I would think the longer this cooks, the more tender it would get. This is served best shredded and on top of mashed potatoes, its your dinner, so eat it however you like.
After the time is up and you have shredded your beef roast, make a corn starch slurry. This is the best and fastest way to thicken up your roast. Mix 1 part corn starch to 1 part cold water and pour into your crockpot. Mixing until the cornstarch is well incorporated.
If you don’t like mushrooms, you can leave those out of this recipe. I couldn’t taste them but they do add a good flavor. Season your roast with whatever your preferred seasonings are.
French Onion Beef Roast
- 1 Crockpot 6 Quart
- 2 lbs Beef Chuck Roast
- 2 Medium Red Onions
- 6 Oz Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 2 Cup Beef Broth
- 1/4 Cup Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 3 tsp Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, ECT.
- 3 tbsp Corn Starch
- 3 tbsp Water Cold
- Grab out your 6 quart crockpot.
- Slice your red onions and mushrooms and throw half into the bottom of the crockpot.
- Season your chuck roast and place on top of the mushrooms and onions.
- Mix together your wet ingredients (Except for corn starch and cold water), in a medium bowl. Pour over the roast inside the crockpot and throw the remaining mushrooms and onions on top.
- Set timer on high for 4 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- When finished cooking, shred your beef using a couple of forks. Using the corn starch and cold water, mix together creating a slurry. Pour into the crockpot with the meat and serve.
- This is best served over some mashed potatoes.
- If 3 tbsp of corn starch and water, didn’t thicken enough for you, do it again but with 1 tbsp each. Its a 1:1 ratio.