Chicken Pot Pie is something my grandma and I used to eat a lot when I was younger. My complaint has always been, why hasn’t someone created one without peas? I just cannot do peas, I try them every year and I just do not like them. So what a better opportunity than to create my own. If you are anything like me and dislike peas, you will love this recipe I created.
What Ingredients Do I Need?
- Pie Crust (Homemade or store bought)
- Mushrooms (Can leave out)
- Green Beans
- Salt & Pepper
Here is how to put together this chicken pot pie.
- Dice up your vegetables.
Dice up your carrots, mushrooms and onions. Set aside for now.
- Cook Chicken
Cook your desired chicken, for a later step in this. You can skip this set by using a rotisserie chicken if you would prefer.
- Sauté Vegetables
In a frying pan, with butter, fry all your vegetables. I would suggest throwing down the carrots first for a minute or two to soften. Then toss in the remaining vegetables cooking until tender.
- Mix Everything Together
Add your cans of cream of chicken into the vegetables and stir together. Mix in your desired chicken, dices or shredded.
- Pie Crust
Grease your pie tin and lay the bottom crust down. Fill the crust with your filling and lay the top layer on.
Brush the top of the crust with an beaten egg wash. Make a couple small slits in the crust for room to breath.
If there are things in my recipe that you do not like, you are welcome to leave them out. You can also add some things in if you think it needs more.
Below is the full recipe, including cook time and measurements. I hope you give this recipe a try and let me know what you think. Tell me if there is something you added, I can always use some tips!
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- Cooked Chicken Diced or Shredded
- 1 Carrot Diced
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 4 oz Mushrooms Diced
- 1/2 cup Frozen Corn
- 1/2 cup Frozen Green Beans
- 20 oz Cream Of Chicken Soup
- 15 oz Pie Crust
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Cook your chicken, if you are using fresh stuff. Once cooked, set aside for later
- Dice up your vegetables, carrots, onions and mushrooms.
- Saute your vegetables, starting with throwing in the carrots first. Toss carrots around a few minutes and than add in the remaining vegetables. Cooking until everything is tender, usually only a few minutes.
- Grease pie tin and lay down the first layer of pie crust.
- Now that your vegetables are done, mix in your cans of cream of chicken soup and chicken and stir everything together good. Season with salt & pepper to taste
- Add your filling into the pie tin and putting the top layer of the crust on. Slice a couple of slits in the top for air.
- Beat an egg and brush the top of the crust with the egg wash. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the oven and serve up a delicious plate.
- If there is a vegetable in this recipe you do not like, you can certainly leave it out.
- You may also create your own cream of soup, if you do not like using canned stuff. The possibilities are endless.
- Traditional mixed vegetables would work good in this recipe as well, if you like peas.