Sausage Tortellini is a crowd pleaser when it comes to soup. I haven’t met a signle soul who hasn’t loved this soup, even if its their own version. Here is my version of this soup, with a few extras.
I chose to add in some mushrooms and spinach to mine, the more vegetables the better I think. Plus they both add so much flavor that you really can’t go wrong.
This recipe is great on the stovetop as well as in a crockpot. I chose to make this in the instant pot, so that we could have it for a weeknight dinner and not have to sit around waiting. This cooks in 10 minutes total, including coming to pressure.
How do I prepare this soup?
Turn your pot on sauté and put some oil in the bottom, just a few splashes. While that is heating up, cut up your onions and mushrooms. If you used fresh garlic instead of jar minced garlic, you will want to cut that up too. Once the pot reads HOT, add in your mushrooms and onions, sauté for a few minutes and than add your garlic.
Now add your final ingredients
Add your sausage to the pot with the mushrooms, garlic and onions and sauté that up until fully cooked (obviously lol). While cooking, add some seasonings. You want to bring out all the flavor in the meat. You have to be kind of generous when seasoning meat in the IP, as the water sometimes takes a lot of flavor out.
Toss in your can of Diced Tomatoes, 2 cups of chicken stock, Italian seasoning, salt, crushed red pepper flakes and stir it all together. Once its all stirred together, add in your dried tortellini and stir one last time.
Time to cook
Put the pressure cook lid on and set the lid to seal. Set the pot on manual for 4 minutes, it will take about 5 minutes to come to pressure.
Once the 4 minutes is up, allow the pot to natural release for 5 minutes. Once the 5 minutes is up, switch the seal over to pressure release and let out the remainder of the pressure.
Set the pot on Saute again and stir in the remainder of the stock and the heavy whipping cream. Stir in your spinach carefully for about a minute or two. Should thicken up as it sits.
Serve up a bowl, add some parmesan cheese to the top! Enjoy your tasty bowl of Sausage Tortellini Soup! Ready in just 10 minutes. Check out the recipe below, remember to pin or print it for a later date. Thanks for checking this out and giving it a try. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion
- 4 Oz Mushrooms
- Spoonful Minced Garlic
- 1 lb Italian Sausage
- 8.8 Oz Tortellini
- 14.5 Oz Diced Tomatoes
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- Italian Seasonings
- Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 Handfuls of Spinach
- Turn on Instant Pot to Sauté mode.
- Add your olive oil to the pot. Add chopped mushrooms, onions and minced garlic to the pot. Cook until tender, might have to start the mushrooms and onions before you add the garlic.
- Add in your Italian Sausage and cook until brown and broken down crumbles. Add a few sprinkles of seasoning while cooking.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes and 2 cups of chicken stock, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper - really as much as you want for seasonings. Stir everything together and add your dried tortellini.
- Set the pot on Manual Mode for 4 minutes. Make sure the pressure knob is on sealing.
- Once the 4 minutes is up, allow the soup to naturally release for 5 minutes, manual release whatever pressure is still in the pot.
- Add in a couple handfuls of spinach, remainder of your chicken stock and the heavy whipping cream.
- Stir everything together nice and slowly. The soup should thicken after a couple of minutes and serve up a bowl.